What wire should I use?

Old 04-04-04, 12:42 PM
Sully
Visiting Guest
What wire should I use?

I am installing a sub panel in a detached garage. The service will be 100 amp and will run to the garage from the main house through an existing underground conduit. The 2" conduit was installed when the garage was built with the ideas of adding electrical service in the future. The total run panel to panel will be 145'. I beleive I need (3) 2 AWG conductors for the two hot lines and the nuetral and (1) 8 AWG for the ground. My question is are those sizes correct and what type of insulation do I need? I had assumed I would use THWN but this type of wire seems to be hard to find. I have contacted two electrical supply shops and both indicated it would be a special order. Can I use THHN and can I use a bundled cable containing the 4 conductors I need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-04, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you actually need 24KW of power in the garage? If not, you can save yourself a lot of effort and money.

Assuming you are talking about copper wire, the sizes you gave are correct. THWN is fine. Look at THHN wire again. Although THHN is not sufficient by itself, you will find that most THHN wire is dual rated THWN. But if it does not have the THWN rating too, don't use THHN alone.

I would discourage you from using a cable assembly.

Old 04-04-04, 12:59 PM
Sully
Visiting Guest
The short answer is I do not need the power now but the garage has a large space above it that I will eventually use for a office/workshop. I would rather pay a little more now then find out I need the power later and have to tear out and replace the feed and related equipment. I assumed the budled cable would not be as desirable and also probably harder to pull. I was assuming copper wire and when I have called for pricing and availability I have asked for THWN. Should I be asking for a THHN that is dual rated for THWN? Lastly are there other options besides THWN that I could look for?

Thanks again

Old 04-04-04, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ask what wire they might have for wet locations. There are a lot of different types that will do: RHW-2, THHW, THWN, XHHW, XHHW-2, etc. And yes, ask if their THHN is dual rated.