How to wire my new ceiling fan/light?

Old 04-04-04, 06:12 PM
mikey629
Visiting Guest
How to wire my new ceiling fan/light?

I have installed my new ceiling fan/light in my bedroom with just the wiring to finish. There is a switch at the doorway of the bedroom that I was hoping to use to turn it on and off.

I know this switch operates only one outlet in the room. Ultimately I am hoping to have the outlet unswitched and just power the ceiling fan/light with the switch.

I have discovered that the the switch has one wire (14/2) coming in with the black, white and ground wire secured to the proper screws.

Upon opening the outlet that the switch controls, the following was discovered:

One wire (14/2) comes in from the center and one wire (14/3) comes in from the left side.
The two black wires are wire nutted. The grounds are properly screwed in. The red wire (14/3) is screwed to the top copper side. The white wire (14/2) is screwed to the top aluminum side. The other white wire (14/3) is screwed to the bottom aluminum side.

I have already attached a 14/3 wire to the fan via the attic. I figured 14/3 in case I need the red wire for something.

My question is where to connect the fan in order to use that switch for the sole purpose of turning the fan on and off. Also keeping in mind I would like to take the outlet off the switch.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-04, 06:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are not giving us the entire setup. The switch is not connected directly to this outlet, but rather is connected to another outlet first. The setup they have in place allows you to modify the existing wiring to change which receptacle outlet is switched.

Open the other recaptacle outlets in the room and let us know how they are wired.

In order to supply switched power to your light/fan you will need to connect the 14/3 to either the switch in the room or to one of the receptacle outlets. How you connect the wires depends on whether you run the wire to the switch or to one of the receptacles.

If you can run the 14/3 to the switch, that would be best. Running the wire to switch would allow you to change the switch to a duplex switch, providing one switch for the fan and the other for the light.

Report back after you have examined the other recaptacle outlets and after you decide where you can run the 14/3 wire from the light/fan.

Old 04-10-04, 06:11 AM
mikey629
Visiting Guest
I have finally looked at all the receptacles in the room. I will start from the door way and work from the left side of the room and go clockwise until I get back to the door. Reminder: I still proved that the switch only operates the one receptacle from my previous note. There are a total of seven outlets.

The first outlet I come to is still hot when I shut the power down to the room so I ignored that outlet. The second one has two wires coming in to the outlet, one from the center (14/2) and one coming in from the left side (14/2). Both black wires are screwed to the copper side and they are complimented by there white wires directly opposite on the aluminum screws. This is true for the number 3 outlet as well the only exception is the one wire comes in from the right instead of the left. The number 4 outlet is the one I described that is operated by the switch. Number 5 is setup just like number 3. Number 6 is setup just like 2,3 and 5 with the exception of the wires both coming in from the right side. The last one number 7 is setup just like number 2. So there you have it.

I know I can get the 14/3 wire I hooked up to the fan in the attic to the switch much easier than an of the outlets. I have not done that yet until further notice. I also do not care if I have one switch run both the light and the fan (since there is a pull chain for each function.

Thanks again.

Old 04-10-04, 08:41 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You still are not giving us proper information.

I need to know where the other end of the 14-3 wire is located. You said that one end is in outlet number 4, the switched outlet. I need to know where the other end is located, as that location will be where we need to make changes.

The other end of this wire may not be connected to any of the receptacles, but it should be in one of the junction boxes.

Please locate it and report back on how it is connected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: