old ceiling fan--new light

Old 04-06-04, 03:43 PM
ptloibner
Visiting Guest
old ceiling fan--new light

I have a relatively new-looking ceiling fan that is turned on from a switch at the single pole switch on the wall (one black wire, one white wire, and nothing else in the box). I tried to add a basic light kit, but when I took the bottom off of the fan, there was one white wire and one blue wire. I tested the power from these and got nothing while the fan continued to turn on and off correctly. I'm supposed to attach the light kit to these two wires, but can't turn the light on once it is attached. There are many other wires in the fan that are wire nutted to each other. The blue and white were the only ones by themselves. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-04, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When someone installs a fan without a light kit, they often do not connect the light's wiring at the ceiling, because it is unnecessary to do so. You need to go into the box at the ceiling where the fan's downrod is supported from. There you will find a blue wire that is left unconnected. Connect it to the same wire the fan's black wire is connected to. Be sure to turn off the breaker. Turning off the wall switch is not sufficient to remove the danger.

Old 04-06-04, 06:01 PM
ptloibner
Visiting Guest
done. thanks a ton.