How many circuits?

Old 04-06-04, 07:19 PM
cfitts
Visiting Guest
Question How many circuits?

Once again, for this room that I am finishing in my basement...

On one end of the room I will have the usual entrainment components (TV, VCR, DVD, Surround Sound Receiver & a powered woofer), on the other end of the room I will have two computers a small televison, a vcr, and all the usual peripherals for the computer (printer, external drive, modem, etc.). In between the two ends I will have two outlets on each wall available for anything else, but will likely not be used often.

I am planning to run one 20A circuit for my recessed lighting (12 cans on 4 separate switches) and one 20A circuit for all of the receptacles in the room.

Am I cutting it to thin with one circuit for the receptacles? Should I split the room into two 20A circuits for the receptacles?

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 04-06-04, 09:20 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Chris,
You cold probablyget away with a single 20 amp circuit for all of uour receptacles but if your walls are open and you have space in your panel for another 20 amp breaker, why not invest now in another circuit?
What are the wattages of all the toys you've mentioned? Divide by 120 volts to get thew amps. Total up the amps. If above 16 amps, go for another circuit.
Why are you proposing to use can lights?
~Peter

Old 04-06-04, 09:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You didn't mention the square footage, and that's a significant factor. Potential need for supplemental electric heat is always possible in the basement. If you think you might need some, dedicate a circuit or two for that. I prefer to have my computer equipment on a circuit to itself.

If you have space in the panel, I suggest you install at least twice as many circuits as you think you need. The difference in cost and effort to run ten outlets on one circuit, or five each on two circuits, is fairly trivial. Panel space is the only reason you might need to be stingy.

Old 04-09-04, 05:31 PM
cfitts
Visiting Guest
I have put in forced hot water baseboard. no need for electric heat. By can lights I am referring to recessed lighting. I've already installed the lights, insluation & blue board in the ceiling. Is there something other than can lights I shouls have used?

Old 04-09-04, 06:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some people dislike can lights, especially in a basement, because they can create a cave-like feeling, and are not a particularly watt-efficient way of lighting up an area. I have can lights (on dimmers) in the part of my basement where the office and entertainment center is, and fluorescents where crafts are done. It works for me. Personally, I like the cozy feeling of can lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: