ceiling box depth challenges

Old 04-07-04, 09:54 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling box depth challenges

Here's the challenge:

I curently have two ceiling boxes, one is a ceiling fan, that are 1/2" pancake boxes screwed directly into a beam. Lathe and plaster make them flush. All is good.

I am repairing the ceiling, which has lots of problems, by added a layer of 3/8th inch sheetrock. thus I need to adjust the box to be flush with the new ceiling.

My options are:
1) Lower the pancake box the same distance by sticking a piece of wood above the box. This option does not appeal to me because I'd like to get rid of the pancake boxes to meet code (maybe they do now, but I doubt it.) I also need to be sure the setup can handle the weight of the fan.

2) Use a full size ceiling box. A 1 1/2 " depth box is too big (3/4" plaster and lathe + 3/8" sheet rock) leaving 3/8 inch of the box sticking out. Can I notch the beam 3/8th inch. It's a dimensional 2x6.

3) I could move the box a few inches to avoid the beam entirely. This would move the box out of the center of the room by a few inches. It might be the best option.

Other ideas?

thanks

Old 04-07-04, 10:08 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They make boxes designed to fit around beams.

You can buy a half inch extension ring dor the existing box.

You could use a larger box and put a piece of trim around the portion that extends below the ceiling.

Old 04-07-04, 03:26 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
What is the volume of your pancake box and how many, and what size, wires are currently inside of it? They will usually handle one 14 guage cable. If it is not overcrowded, probably the easiest thing to do would be to shim it out like you mentioned. If it is a metal box and screwed right into the 2 x 6, it should support most fans without a problem.

I would probably be hesitant to notch out the 2 x 6, even more so if it was supporting another floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: