Specs for placing electrical boxes in basement

Old 04-07-04, 04:41 PM
Davidok
Visiting Guest
Specs for placing electrical boxes in basement

Where would I find the code for the placement of boxes on studs in a new basement? How many boxes are needed on a wall that is 30' and a 40' ? What is the distance apart they need to be? Is there a specific height off the floor? How many Terminals do I have to have? Is there a specific coded for going thru the studs?
Thank you for the help.

Old 04-07-04, 04:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The NEC is available in the library. You can possibly also borrow it at the town office where you can get the permit you need. The town will also be able to tell you about local additions to the code, and about which code edition they follow.

Is this a finished basement? Finished spaces need outlets within 6 feet of every door, and at least every 12 feet.

What do you mean by Terminal?

Holes in studs for wires must be in the center of the stud, else you need to install nail plates to prevent accidental damage. There are also rules for spacing of supports.

I recommend that you buy several books (or at least one complete one) on home wiring before you start. There is much more that I haven't mentioned that applies. Electricity is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 04-07-04, 04:54 PM
Davidok
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I have plans to visit the City department tomorow.

The basement is not finished. Just the studs and insulation.

I have a family member who is an electrcian, but he is on vacation and I am trying to get the "Non-Electrical" portion set up before the real wiring starts.

This helps. I will talk with the city guys tomorow.

Old 04-07-04, 07:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Go to your local Home Depot. In the electrical aisle, you will find a five dollar green paperback titled "Wiring Simplified". Buy it. It is very readable (unlike the NEC), and it will tell you almost all the codes you need. Read it carefully cover to cover, skipping the chapter on farm wiring (unless you live on a farm).

This book is not a how-to book, so if you're a novice, you'll want to supplement this book with another book with lots of colorful pictures (such as the Black and Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: