Extending some wiring

Old 04-09-04, 07:53 AM
LoriRobin
Visiting Guest
Extending some wiring

hey all - i am remodeling my kitchen and added lights by adding another piece of wire to an existing ceiling fixture. My question is, the existing fuse and wiring for this circuit is 15amps and i used wire rated for 20amps. Is this a problem? and if you could explain the theory to me, i'd appreciate it! Thanks ....

Old 04-09-04, 08:12 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is not a code violation. It does not present a problem electrically.

However, several points should be made.

Using larger wires fills the box quicker, and larger wire is ahrder to work with.

Many people don't approve of mixing wire sizes. In general, the danger is that someone (in the future) may incorrectly assume that a circuit is a 20 amp circuit becuase they find 12 gauge wire. This may lead them to think they have more available power and tempt them to try to draw more then the circuit can provide, such as by installing a 20 amp receptacle downstream and trying to draw close to or even more than 15 amps through the circuit.

This is unlikely to happen in your case, as you are extending the circuit to add a light, and probably can't extend the circuit for any other reason.

That all being said, I recommend that you use the size wire that matches the rest of the circuit.

Old 04-09-04, 10:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bob brings up a lot of valid points to consider for your next job, but bottom line is that the work that's already done is just fine.

Old 04-09-04, 05:08 PM
LoriRobin
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly and alleviating my fears! There's nothing like a couple of men who are good with wires!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: