Service wires into top of Main Panel Box

Old 04-10-04, 12:43 AM
Swampfever
Visiting Guest
Service wires into top of Main Panel Box

Panel boxes that are mounted on garage walls ... and the incoming service wires and all are visible, don't they have to be in protective conduit? I attached a photo of what I am talking about (I hope I am doing this right ... this is my first post in a very long time).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Donnie

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-04, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,122 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
It all depends on your local building codes. Most codes allow wiring in unfinished areas to be exposed (like in basements, attics & crawl spaces). Many codes also allow wires coming out of the panel to be exposed if they are above a certain height.

Old 04-10-04, 08:20 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
It is hard to tell fromthe photo, but if those are individual conductors they need to be in conduit all the way back to the previous box.

Old 04-10-04, 09:30 AM
Swampfever
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks. I will try to find out what the local codes are for my area to see for sure. I appreciate your replies. This is a well informed message board and very helpful from what I have read.

Donnie

Old 04-10-04, 09:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I do not consider this arrangement to be a Code violation. The exposed section of interior Service Entrance Cable above the panel is measured in inches, compared to the exposed SEC on the exterior, which could be 20-30 lineal feet.

You can achieve a neat "flush-panel" effect using a piece of birch plywood. The lenth of the plywood is the dimension from the ceiling to a point 6" under the botom of the panel, and the width is dimension equivalent to the width of the panel +, say, 8", which give a 4" overlap on the Left/Right sides of the panel.

After you have made a "cut-out" in the plywood equal to the panel dimensions, and have fastened the plywood to vertical members, the plywood will neatly enclose the panel and the cables and the panel willl appear as if it's "flush-mounted" inside a wall.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: