Outlets

Old 04-10-04, 03:30 PM
Bob R
Visiting Guest
Outlets

I am installing a new outside light. I ran wire from the light to the box inside the house. I then connected the wire from the light to the wire that will supply the power, and I have a wire connected from each (black & white) which will be connected to the switch.
Does this sound right.

Thanks

Old 04-10-04, 04:00 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
It sounds like you may have it wrong.
If this is what you have -
Power at receptacles. Cable going to light from receptacle. Cable going to switch from receptacle.

This is what you need -
Connect the white from the light to the white from the receptacle.
Connect the white from the switch to the black(power) from the receptacle.
Connect the black from the switch to the black from the light.
Connect all the grounds.

Old 04-10-04, 04:53 PM
Bob R
Visiting Guest
joed, thhans i think I got that. right know there is no power going to the switch. I ran cable from the switch to my basement, I want to connect it to one of the existing outlete but I am not sure how to dovthis because there are a number of connections. I am not sour what wire I connect to what. I will change the wiring per your instructions, I will post another message when I get to the other part Thanks for your help

Old 04-11-04, 07:06 AM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
IF this is a normal receptacle the you just connect black to black and white to white. Only one wire per screw. If you don't have enough screws use a pigtail.
If you can post exactaly all the cables and where they go I can tell you how the connections need to be done.

Old 04-11-04, 07:33 AM
Bob R
Visiting Guest
The receptacle has 2 black connected on one sire and 2 white connected on the other. Can I connect the wire running for the new light to the back of the outlet since both screws are being used. It has the holes in back were you can insert the wires to make the connection. The wires in this receptacle are connected to four electrical out lets in the basement.

Old 04-11-04, 10:17 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer is that yes you can use the back stabs. However, I recommend that you don;t use them, and just about everyone who answers posts here will recommend the same thing.

The backstab connections have a tendency to fail. This is especially true if the outlet gets used much or with high current devices. The frequent insertion and removal of plugs, as well as the hig current causes the connections to fail. It also seems like the neutral fails more often that the hot connection. Once they do fail, finding the failed connection is often time consuming, as the failure could be anywhere i the circuit.

For your peace of mind (as well as for the peace of mind of whoever you eventually sell the house to) , don't use the backstabs. Make and use a pigtail (a short piece of 14 gauge wire of the appropriate color) and a wire nut to connect to the outlet.

Old 04-11-04, 10:38 AM
Bob R
Visiting Guest
So I would take one of the wires currently connected to the outlet +/- and the new wire and connected both of these along with a pigtail in one wire nut, then connect the pigtail back to the outlet.

Old 04-11-04, 01:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, or you could put both wires from the screw terminals, the new wire and the pigtail in the wire nut, and then attach the wirenut to the screw terminal on the receptacle.

Just make sure that you use the correct size wirenuts. The package for the wirenuts will tell you how many wires and what size it can be used for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: