Service Panel?

Old 04-11-04, 09:11 AM
jevoman
Visiting Guest
Service Panel?

A house I am going to buy has an old fuse electrical system, and during the inspection, the inspector noted a few items, but I am not sure if he is correct.

1. There was an additional service panel added next to the main panel (for the central air compressor). The Service panel is tapped off of the main feed (above the main fuse for the home) and then has its own breakers in this box. There are no available slots in the main panel. The inspector said that the 'main feed' should not be "double tapped." Is he correct?

2. One of the fuses in the main panel has 3 wires coming off of it and he said this is 'triple tapping' and is not allowed. Is he correct?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-11-04, 12:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Without researching the listing of your particular panel assembly I cannot be sure whether it's lugs are suitable for multiple conductors but most are not. Lugs that are suitable for two or more conductors will have multiple wire entries or multiple set screws that will tighten the conductors individually.

On the other issue the number of wires on the terminal of the fuse holder is based on the terminals design. I have never seen one that is designed for three wires but that does not mean that they don't exist.

The existence of the second panel that is supplied directly from the service entry conductors raises other questions. Does the second panel have a single main breaker or pull out? How many main breakers or fuse pull out blocks are in the first panel? It is a hard and fast rule of the US National Electric Code that it may not take more than six switches, breakers, or pull outs to deenergize your home. If you take a digital picture or take a regular photograph and have the lab scan it digitally for you you can post it to your personal web space and I can advise you further. The most useful view would be one picture that shows the inside of both panels. If you are not comfortable working in energized panels then have a qualified person remove the covers for you.
--
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: