GFCI Recpt.

Old 04-11-04, 03:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI Recpt.

Let me ask an unusual question. Can you feed a GFI receptacle from the "Load side" on a GFI protected circuit. One of the outside circuits has a nail-up box requiring a GFI receptacle...the only thing, the new receptacle has a screw on the line side which is froze in place. I can take the GFI receptacle back but it will be very inconvenient.

Old 04-11-04, 03:45 PM
R
I guess you didn't like the answers you got in the other forum, so you are asking your question here.

The answer to your question is no. New GFCI receptacles will not accept the line voltage coming in on the load side.

But the better question is, why would you do this instead of returning the receptacle and replacing it, or simply using a regular non-GFCI receptacle?

Any job worth doing is worth doing properly.

Old 04-11-04, 05:19 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
If the circuit is already prtected by a GFCI why would you want use another one. Use a regular receptacle.

Old 04-12-04, 10:51 AM
brian64
Visiting Guest
i ' m installing a 200 amp service into a log home...i have 2 duplexes 20 amp on 12/2,, on either side of the kitchen sink...they are bridge together in the box on the left side of the sink.. my question is ,, can i get away with useing one gfi ,,or do i have to put 2 of them?? gfi's thanks inadvance

Old 04-12-04, 11:14 AM
R
brian64,

What do you mean by "bridge together"?

Old 04-12-04, 11:34 AM
brian64
Visiting Guest
sorry,,,i have two duplexes on either side of the sink, power comes in on the left,and goes to the right on 12/2..i twisted all the ends together black to black ,white to white and ground to ground and grounded the metal box,, i have pig tails going to the gfi's.. from the twists
my question is do i need two gfi's or can i get away with one since its on the same line just 10 feet away??

Old 04-12-04, 11:36 AM
R
A GFCI receptacle has line and load terminals.

Power is connected to the line terminals. Anything connected to the load terminals receives the same ground fault protection as the receptacle itself.

Last edited by racraft; 04-12-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 11:47 AM
W
Brian64,

As you have described your wiring, you need _2_ GFCI receptacles. This is because you have pigtailed the first GFCI into the circuit, and then continued the circuit to the second box. GFCIs do _nothing_ to protect their supply circuit; they only protect _loads_ connected to them.

Be sure to read carefully what racraft says. You will need to change the way you have wired the circuit so that the first GFCI is connected to the supply wires via the 'line' terminals. Then the second duplex receptacle needs to be connected to the GFCI via the 'load' terminals. If you do this, then the GFCI will protect the second duplex receptacle and you will only need 1 GFCI.

-Jon

Old 04-12-04, 02:53 PM
brian64
Visiting Guest
kool thanks all makes sence

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: