NEC for wiring a swimming pool filter

Old 04-11-04, 08:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NEC for wiring a swimming pool filter

Getting a pool-
I am going to run dedicated 12/2 to the area where the filter will be

Anyone know specifics for code in NY state..

Specifically:
Depth of wire run
conduit vs. not
Is a 20A breaker enough
etc.....

A link would be helpful, but it is sometimes hard to interpret the nec language...is their a layman's guide???

Thanks....

Old 04-12-04, 05:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The electrical for pools is complex and confusing.

Try this link:
http://www.southwindsor.org/TownHall/Pool%20Elect.pdf

You can probably find other good linformation on the internet using Google or another search engine. However, your best bet is to talk with the company installing the pool and with the authroity that will be performing the final inspection.

Here are some important notes.

The circuit must be GFCI protected. The receptacle outlet for the filter must more than five feet from the pool. If it is within ten feet then the connection must be a twsit lock type. If greater than ten feet from the pool then it can be a regular plug. There must be an in use cover.

You cannot use UF cable or NM type cable. The ground wire must be shielded, it cannot be bare. This means individual conductors in conduit, 12 inches deep.

You must bond all metal within ten feet of the pool. This means any rebar in concrete, the pool shell, any metal diving board or ladder, or a metal fence. The bond is with the connection on the pool filter. Bonding is using a #8 bare copper wire.

You must have an exterior receptacle outlet, GFCI protected, located at least 10 feet but not more than 20 feet from the pool. This is a convenience outlet.

I think I covered the main points.

Again, I stress to check with the AHJ, as they will be doing the final inspectio0n and they will let you know what you can and cannot do if you have specific questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: