GFCI question

Old 04-12-04, 07:17 AM
batmobile78m
Visiting Guest
GFCI question

I put in a GFCI outlet from a 20 amp circuit and then added a couple more regular outlets downline. I also added a lightswitch.
The GFCI pops when i turn the 20 amp breaker on. I replaced the GFCI, because i thought it was defective, but the new one does the same thing. But if i remove the GFCI and replace it with a regular outlet, everything works fine. I test all the outlets and they all seem to be hooked up right, polarity, ground and everything. Don't know why the GFCI won't operate????????
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 07:23 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A GFCI trips because either there is a ground fault, or because it is wired improperly.

Did you connect the GFCI outlet properly?

Describe in detail how you connected the GFCI, which wires to which terminals, etc.

Have you tried applying power without the downstream outlets connected? What happens then?

Old 04-12-04, 06:43 PM
batmobile78m
Visiting Guest
GFCI question

I've hooked a bunch of these up before without problem, so i understand that you hook the wires from the panel up to the "line" and follow on to the outlets down line with the "load" terminals.
I tried what you said, hooking up just the line terminals and it stayed on, but my tester said reversed polarity. I just noticed that the brass terminals (normally HOT, i think) are on the white side and the silver terminals are on the hot side. I'm wondering now if they switched them at the factory and that's the root of my problem. I'll have to mess with it some more tomorrow. I'll leave another reply after I do. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-04, 08:10 AM
batmobile78m
Visiting Guest
GFCI question

I fixed the polarity problem by switching terminals. The GFCI is hooked up correctly to the "line", but I still have the same problem. When I hook in the downstream wire to the "load" terminals, the GFCI pops off.
I did check the whole circuit before drywalling and everything worked with the GFCI, so something changed. But if I drove a screw thru a wire, I would think that it would pop the main breaker or some of the outlets wouldn't work. But everything works fine if I just leave out the GFCI.
Is there a way to check where the ground fault is, without ripping everything apart?
thanks

Old 04-13-04, 08:20 AM
R
Disconnect each downstream starting from the far end, until you find the problem.

Old 04-13-04, 02:30 PM
A screw through a wire wouldn't necessarily trip a normal breaker, but would likely trip a GFCI. Especially if you hit just the white wire but didn't sever it.

I also discovered as I was installing a vanity light that shorting the ground to neuteral would trip it even if there was no load! (i.e. the switch to the vanity light was off).