Question About Adding Floodlights to Existing Lighting

Old 04-12-04, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question About Adding Floodlights to Existing Lighting

Sorry if this has been asked before. I just discovered this forum.

I have a back porch light controlled by a switch inside the kitchen. My original thought was to add outdoor flood lights (2 sets of 2) and have them controlled by the same switch. In the attic there was 1 cable going from the switch to the outside porch light. After wiring the flood lights together (hot to hot, common to common, & bare to bare), I broke the line from the switch to the existing light and connected the new floods to it.

Unfortunately, when power was restored, the floods didn't work, the existing outside light was always on, and the switch didn't work.

After some research, it was determined that the feed went into the outside light box and the switch contained the hot wire (B & W) even though the white was not marked as such.

What is the easiest way to have all lights operate off of this switch?

Unfortunately, access to the outside wall from the attic is difficult due to the pitch of the roof and access to the box behind the existing porch light is mostly blocked by aluminum siding.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 04:49 PM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
The only way to do it is to run the cable into the existing light fixture. That line you tapped into is only a switch loop. You did make the tapped connection in a box? There is 6 inches of wire coming into the box, right?

Old 04-13-04, 07:39 AM
joed,

Thanks for the fast response.

Yes, the splice was made in a junction box. In fact, 2 were needed and mounted on opposite ceiling joists because when the cut was made there wasn't enough slack in the existing wire to make the connection.

I will try to access the box behind the existing outside light fixture. I guess, from your response, that I will need to run a wire from the new flood lights down through the outside wall into the box behind the existing light. What should I expect to see in that box and how will I need to connect the new wire?

Old 04-13-04, 08:41 AM
At the existing light, you could see a number of different things. But you don't need to figure that out. Just connect your new cable to the same wires that the existing light is connected to, and leave all other connections alone.

Old 04-13-04, 08:55 AM
John,

Thanks, I was hoping it was that simple. However, the difficult part will be dropping the new wire down the outside wall in the existing box. I hope whoever drilled the original hole for the original wire made it large enough to fish another wire down the wall to the box. If not, can you offer any tips on how to get the wire down to the outside box from the attic as there is no room to drill into the outside wall from up top due to the pitch of the roof?

Old 04-19-04, 08:23 AM
Thumbs up Update

Just wanted to update everyone.

Finished the project this weekend. joed, I was able to snake a line down the ouside wall to the existing fixture and tie everything together. Works perfectly.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help and advice.