Disconnected - But still there

Old 04-14-04, 08:12 PM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
Disconnected - But still there

First of all, thanks for all the help given to date...

Question: I had to move a smoke detector which required disconnecting a 14/3 wire that was the last connection on a circuit that ran an upstairs bedroom and a number of smoke detectors leading to the basement (3 of them). I disconnected the wire from the previous smoke detector so it's NOT connected to anything on either end. Is it ok to leave the wire terminated on both ends still in the box/wall (it's stapled in)?

Old 04-14-04, 09:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it is okay to leave a cable that is disconnected at both ends. If you leave the wires in the box at each end (for possible reconnection in the future), you should cap off each wire separately with a small wire nut. If you are sure you will never need this cable again, you may cut it off short and push it out of the box on each end.

I hope you still have the proper number of smoke detectors.

Old 04-15-04, 05:14 AM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
yep. when we framed the ceiling in my basement we had to move the smoke detector down about a foot and there's not enough wire length to allow. There's a receptacle right below it that I'll tap off of to keep it operational.

Old 04-15-04, 07:50 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
But you'll lose the interconnect feature. That interconnect feature is especially important in a basement where you need as much warning as you can get to get out safely, should a fire start upstairs.

I'd suggest that you move the existing box to someplace permanently accessible (with a cover plate), and install a short connecting cable to the new smoke detector. This is worth it to preserve the interconnect.

Old 04-17-04, 05:34 AM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
You're a life saver (no kidding). I'll do that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: