Lighting Branch - times 2

Old 04-14-04, 08:17 PM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
Lighting Branch - times 2

Is it o.k. to connect (2) lighting connections off of 1 branch? In other words, I'll pig-tail off of a receptacle to a light switch (with an overhead light) and then to another light switch (with overhead light) in another room?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-04, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably, depending on exactly what you meant and exactly how you plan to route the cable. You cannot run the cable

receptacle->switch->light->switch->light

But you can run a cable

receptacle->switch->switch
and then run a cable from each switch to the light it controls

The confusing terminology in your post suggests that you should read a couple of good books on home wiring before beginning. Your local public library probably has a number to choose from.

The devil is in the details. Whether or not what you propose is code-compliant and safe depends on a lot of factors not in evidence, starting with where this receptacle is that you propose to tap power from.

Old 04-14-04, 08:34 PM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
receptacle->switch-switch is my plan (fairly obvious). the starting receptacle is already being tapped for the first overhead. i'll just be adding a second switch in an adjacent room. i have not exceeded the load on this circuit as it consists of mostly un-used receptacles in my basement.

they have books on this stuff? just kidding. i'd appreciate a recommendation on a good book.

BTW...THANKS

Old 04-14-04, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So where is this receptacle?

Old 04-14-04, 09:17 PM
AnklBytr
Visiting Guest
the receptacle is is #1 (GFCI) in a 15amp circuit that consists of approximately 7 receptacles (most will remain un-used). it's located in my soon to be finished basement in a room that's adjacent to the room i'm adding an overhead light to. all new construction.