Front Yard Lamp Post Wiring

Old 04-18-04, 09:49 PM
LTnKC
Visiting Guest
Question Front Yard Lamp Post Wiring

Electrically challanged idiot here with a question.

My lamp post has been out for a year or so. Yesterday I got a wild hair and decided it's time to remedy this little problem. I purchased a new lamp post fixture and started the process. Long story short....I have determined that the wire feeding the fixture is 12-2 without a ground...at least I don't see one. Is there a solution to this problem without pulling the pole out of the ground, digging a trench and rerunning 12-2 w/ground? Any help you might be able to suggest will be appreciated.

LT n' KC

Old 04-18-04, 10:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you want grounding (it's a good idea, but not absolutely required), then yes, you must dig a new trench, pull the pole out of the ground, and run new UF-B cable.

Whether you do this or not, make sure this is GFCI protected before it leaves the house.

By the way, did you ever attempt to figure out why the lamp was out? Replacing the fixture may not solve it. There's a good chance that you are solving the wrong problem. It might be a cable problem (which would probably require you to replace the cable anyway), or maybe it's as simple as a tripped GFCI or a bad photo eye.

Old 04-22-04, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Has the light gone out since you've been living there? .. Like John mentioned, it may be the cable..or its connections that are the problem. Perhaps something as lost contact. Is the cable run directly from house to post, or thru an exterior outlet? If it is a bad cable, Maybe, it might be possible to pull (carefully) a new cable thru to the post, using the old cable as a lead..Just an idea! ..That is..depending on the original conduit hook-up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: