ceiling fan/light wiring

Old 04-19-04, 12:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan/light wiring

Sorry about the first post attempt. So goes my day.

I am installing a ceiling fan/light in my bedroom. It will be the main light source, so I want it on a wall switch and wired so the fan will work when the light is switched off.

Saw instructions on how to do this on another post, but it was with the power source going into the switch and then to the fan/light.

Problem is I already ran a 14-2 cable from a power source (pull chain closet light) to the fan/light and a 14-3 cable from the fan/light to the switch. Will it work this way? If so, how is it wired?

The switch is around the corner from the fan/light. Would a "smart" switch (suggested on the other post) work around the corner? Do I just need to resign myself to making another trip to the attic?

Any guidance will be appreciated!

judy

Old 04-19-04, 01:05 PM
R
Actually, you have provided yourself with the most flexibility this way.

At the fan/light, connect the white wire from the power to the white wire(s) for thr fan/light.

At the fan/light connect the black wire from the power to the hot wire for the fan and to the white wire going to the switch. Reidentify the white wire going to the switch with a permanent black wire.

At the fan/light connect the black wire from the switch to the hot wire for the light.

At the switch connect the black and white wires tothe switch. Reidentify the white wire with a permanent black marker.

At the light/fan and at the switch cap off the red wire with a wire nut.

At both locations connect the ground wires to the devices and to the metal boxes (if applicable).

Old 04-19-04, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to print this off and get back on the ladder.

Out of curiosity, how would I put the fan on a switch, too?

judy

Old 04-19-04, 01:23 PM
R
Use the red wire to provide power to the fan.

At the switch connect the white wire (reidentified with black marker) to one side of the second switch. Connect the red wire to the other side of that switch.

At the fan/light connect the red wire to the hot wire for the fan in place of the black power wire.

Old 04-19-04, 01:31 PM
Thank you again. I think I will put both of them on a switch. I am impressed with the quick replys and help.

Old 04-19-04, 02:07 PM
R
It may help you to draw a picture.

What you want to do is to connect the return wire dirctly to the return(s) for the fan and light.

You want to run the hot wire to the switches. You then run the switched hot (both of them) back to the fan and light, connecting one to each.

With home wiring, you always switch the hot wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: