Strange high pitch squeal from basement ceiling

Old 04-19-04, 08:45 AM
Montiman
Visiting Guest
Question Strange high pitch squeal from basement ceiling

Hi,

This IS a strange one! Not sure where to post this, so I took a guess. This morning, a strange high pitched squealing started coming out of my ceiling in the basement. The sound is almost alarm like, it is hard to describe. I turned the power off to the house thinking it might be electrical, didn't stop. I then turned the main water off, didn't stop. Does anyone have any guess as to what it might be? It is starting to drive me crazy! I have went around the outside of the house and cannot hear anything.

Unfortunately, the ceiling is a permanent one that I just put in last year and there is no access to what's up there anywhere near where the sound is coming from.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-04, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Were there any mechanical systems in the area of the squeal (DWV, air handler ducting, wiring, electrical systems, etc.) when you installed the ceiling? Maybe a battery operated smoke alarm with a low battery? An air handler damper? A critter stuck in a Vent or drain line? We need a little more info to help.
Scott E.

Old 04-19-04, 12:48 PM
Montiman
Visiting Guest
None of that applies here, that's why it had me so stumped. It did stop on it's own after about 4 hours. I believe it was related to the city flushing the fire hydrants. It started quite early, then about 30 mins before it stopped they were flushing the hydrant in my yard. I was downstairs still trying to find the cause when it suddenly stopped, when I got upstairs I looked out the window and saw they were done and gone. Never happened in previous years, but it's all I have at this point.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-04, 01:36 PM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
Do you have a regulator on your water line. Could have been that.

Old 04-19-04, 03:07 PM
Montiman
Visiting Guest
No, don't think so. Where would that be located?

Old 04-19-04, 05:36 PM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
Regulator would be located where the water line enters the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: