no power at outlets

Old 04-22-04, 05:04 AM
eelliottnj
Visiting Guest
no power at outlets

None of my circuit breakers have tripped (or GFCIs) but I have no power to four outlets. I tried replacing the breakers one by one but NG. I dont understand how there can be no power if the breakers are all ok...
Any suggestions ?

Old 04-22-04, 05:39 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are all of these outlets on the same circuit? Are these the only outlets on the circuit? Did you try turning the breakers completely off and then back on? Where in your house are these outlets located?

Assuming that there are working outlets on the circuit then the most likely cause is a failed connection at one of the outlets in question, or on the outlet that feeds these outlets.

After you have eliminated the possibility of a tripped GFCI and a tripped breaker, you will need to start looking. You will have to remove and inspect the connections to each of these outlets, and the connections to every other outlet on the circuit. Determine where you have power and where you don't. You should find a broken or failed connection somewhere.

Old 04-22-04, 06:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, do as Bob says and turn all the 15-amp and 20-amp breakers off and back on again.

Next, examine where the receptacles are. If they are in a bathroom, kitchen, garage, basement, or outdoors, then the solution is likely a tripped GFCI that you are not even currently aware that it exists.

If that doesn't do it, go to Home Depot and spend $8 on a plug-in outlet tester, a device with three lights on it (two amber and one red). Plug it into one of the dead outlets and see whether it says "no hot", "hot/gnd reverse" or "open neutral". Let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: