Ceiling fan splice

Old 04-19-04, 04:41 PM
dantech
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling fan splice

Im going to be installing a ceiling fan into my kids room and had a few questions. I would like to have it controlled by the wall switch (single) but need to splice into one of the main wires running through my attic. The wall switch currently works the upper outlet in the room. Should I be splicing into a 14/3 running to the switch or the outlet and how should I attach it.

Im pretty new to wiring (house, anyway) and dont want to short anything.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-04, 05:34 PM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
need more info.
How many cables are in the switch box? Which wires are connected to the switch?
Do you still want the receptacle to be switched?
The 2 best option are for you run a wire from the switch to the new fan or run a wire from the currently switched receptalce to the new fan.

Old 04-19-04, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splicing into any cable in the attic will almost certainly fail to do what you want. Please provide the information Joe requested.

Old 04-19-04, 06:18 PM
dantech
Visiting Guest
I dont mind if the outlet is still controled by the switch or not. Im working up in the atic and am trying to decide which wires to splice into in which the wall switch can be used for controling the fan/lamp with one wall switch.

I guess what I'm looking for is a step by step of what to look for when splicing so that the wall switch controls both fan and lamp.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-19-04, 06:28 PM
All the wiring you need is in the walls, not the attic. You're going to need to fish a cable down into the walls. But we need more information to guide you.

Old 04-19-04, 06:36 PM
dantech
Visiting Guest
I guess I like the idea of going from the switch, up the wall, to the fan box. What kind of wire should I use? I have some 14/3 (14gauge,1blk,1white,1copper). Will that work or should I get something else?

Old 04-19-04, 07:00 PM
Please answer the first two questions that Joe asked.

P.S. A cable with black, white and bare wires is called 14/2, not 14/3.

Old 04-19-04, 08:28 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
You may in fact find you have a 14/3, or 12/3, cable running up into the attic from the wall switch location and down into the switched receptacle outlet location. The black wire carries power to the non-switched receptacles and the red is switched. I have seen this method utilized where a 2x10 door header makes running the cable horizontally thru the studs impractical. The power is brought into the wall switch box first then carried to the receptacles from there.

If this is the case you will probably need to splice in two junction boxes in the attic since you need 6" of wire in each box and there likely won't be enough slack in the existing cable. From one of the j-boxes you can run a new 14/3, or 12/3, cable to the fan-rated ceiling box. That way you will have switched and unswitched power available at the fan to control the lights with the wall switch and the fan with the pullchains.