Use of flexible conduit-

Old 04-20-04, 10:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Use of flexible conduit-

Hi all,

I am new here and need some help/advice. I wired my own home many years ago--and was then very much current with the code (at least for homes)--but that was 30 years ago.

I am running a 220 run for a new electric stove--there is not an existing stove circuit. Since my lower level is finished, the only access I have is thru the attic. When we first moved in, I run a 3/4" EMT conduit from the basement to the attic. It runs up the same opening that the funace flue runs in (not in the flue, of course)--about 4 or 5 inches away. The flue is a double-wall metal flue.

I plan to run a continuous 8 or 6 gage THHN's from the circuit box to the conduit going up to the attic--I just tonite finished mounting the EMT in the basement. I will also run a #10 gound wire. (Waiting to see the specs on the stove to determine whether to use 8 or 6--total run length is about 60 feet).

My question is what type of conduit to use in the attic--and going down the kitchen wall. I won't be able to run thin-wall, since I'll have no way of getting into the wall (unless I use 2 foot sections) due to limited roof height. Specifically, I have the following questions:
1. If I run EMT in the attic to the kitchen wall--can that be run in any manner and direction on the top of the ceiling joists--or must it be protected (either below the top of the joist or with a wooden support)? I know in the "old days" we used Greenfield--and ran it every which way in the attic.

2. Is Greenfield permitted--as long as there is a gounding conductor? One option would be to run Greenfield from the box at the end of the EMT in the attic--and just drop it down the kitchen wall. It would, of course, be unsupported within the wall.

3. At the Home Depot near me, there is a blue, plactic-like flexible conduit, 3/4 inch. No one there knows anything about its use. Can I use that in the attic? Going down the kitchen wall? If yes, how do I connect it to the metal boxes in the attic, and that I plan to use behind the range? There are PVC connectors that seem to fit . . .And what glue should be used (if any) into the connectors and couplers.

I'm not a big fan of Romex--which would of course be easier to run. As a last resort, I'll put in a junction box in the attic, and switch to Romex to go down the kitchen wall--but only as a last resort.

Any advice would be most appreciated.



Feel free to e-mail any comments to me as well as posting. E-mail is
Old 04-21-04, 05:40 PM
ampz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 513
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would not run EMT for a few reasons least of which is that it has no support inside the wall & it will be difficult to connect it to the box for the outlet.If you must use greenfield use armored cable in 8/3 or 6/3 whatever the range requires.Obviously its more expensive than Romex but it will be easier to run that EMT/THHN.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: