Questions on bathroom lighting and exhaust fan

Old 04-22-04, 11:57 AM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Questions on bathroom lighting and exhaust fan

I am planning to replace a noisy exhaust fan that also has an inadequate light with a new fan (no light), then install one or two ceiling light fixtures separate from the fan but on same circuit. I have several questions:

1. Is there a requirement on how far the light fixtures, or the fan for that matter, should be from the shower? The shower door does not go all the way to the ceiling, so steam escapes from the shower through the opening.
2. Will this circuit (including the fan and lights but no receptacles) require GFI protection and if so what is the best way to accomplish this? This is a 15 amp circuit connected to a double pole breaker in the main panel. Power runs through the attic with a switch legs down to the switches.
3. I was planning to use Halo recessed lights with halogen bulbs unless this is not considered good for a bathroom. Is Halo OK?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-04, 05:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.

...unless any fixtures are going to be installed directly above the shower or tub. Post back if this applies to you.

Old 04-22-04, 11:11 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
No, I am not planning to install a light within the shower but am aware that if I was, I would need to use a sealed light fixture rated for this location, and I believe it would need GFI protection if I recall my previous reading correctly.
Thank you for the reply, John Nelson.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: