wiring box w/ 2 plugs

Old 04-22-04, 11:36 AM
metal_free
Visiting Guest
wiring box w/ 2 plugs

I am wiring a 120v box with 2 plugs. this is an end box with nothing coming out the other side. How do I wire the two plugs together and do I need to hook a ground from the first one to the last.

Old 04-22-04, 12:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I understand correctly, you have a doble gang box in which you want to install two duplex receptacles.

The hot wire (the black one) needs to be connected to both duplex receptacles on the hot side (brass screw side), while the neutral wire (the white one) needs to be connected to neutral side (silver screw side) of each receptacle. The ground wire needs to be connected to both receptacles ground screws (the green screw). The box, if it is metal, must also e connected to the ground wire. In short, you are wiring the receptacles in parallel.

Assuming this is not a multiwire circuit, you have two options. You can use a wirenut and two pigtails for each wire. A pigtail is a short piece of wire of the same color and gauge as the wire it is being connected to. You connect one pigtail to each receptacle.

Your other option with a duplex receptacle is to connect the incoming wire to one screw on one receptacle. Then run a short piece of wire from the other screw on the same side of the receptacle to the same color screw on the other other receptacle.

Your ground is a little easier, if you allow it to be. If your ground wire is long enough, you can connect it to the metal box and to both receptacles without the need of a pigtail or wirenut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: