rough-in elect.help

Old 04-25-04, 10:39 PM
onedesertdog
Visiting Guest
Cool rough-in elect.help

I could sure use some help in figuring out new const. wiring. Just finished rebuilding the shell of our cabin that we lost due to the Rodeo/Chediski Fire here in Az. in 02. Now I am starting on the rough plumbing and elect. I have already installed all elect boxes in walls/ceilings. will be using 12/2 throughout, except for 8/2 for elect. range, 10/2 for elect. h/w heater, and 10/2 for elect. dryer.
Must the overhead Micro be on a seperate 12/2 20 a. run or can I add the fridge and a couple receptacles also?
Do I wire the kitchen (2ea.) GFI recept. in parallel using 2 GFI"s or can I use 1 GFI and a regular recept?
Should I do say 1 room M/Bed in 1 run all on 20 amp. circuit, same w/ 2nd. bed. on another 20 amp circuit? liv. rm./utility rm. bathrooms etc ea. seperate 20 a. runs of 12/2?
Sorry for the book, I can do the work But I need someone to look over my shoulder... any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Buddy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-04, 04:56 AM
You need to pick up a good book on wiring and make sure that you know local requirements for your juridiction.

Many places require that an installed microwave be on a separate circuit.

Your kitchen counter receptacles can be wired through one GFCI with the other receptacles being on the load side of that GFCI. As you correctly noted, you need at least two circuits serving the counter. many people recommend alternating every other outlet on each circuit, to make it easier to plug something in to the other circuit.

Unless the bedrooms are doubling as an office, or have other unusual electric needs, both bedorrms could be on a single 20 amp circuit.

Bathrooms are a diifferent story. You must either place each bathroom on it's own 20 amop circuit (with no other rooms served), or use one 20 amp circuit that serves all bathroom recptacles, and then run the lights and fans in the bathrooms on other circuits.

Your laundry area requires a separate 20 ampo circuit.

Again, I strongly recommend a current book detailing requirements and then knowledge of specifics for your area.

Old 04-26-04, 06:38 AM
Codes have changed, so you can't just redo it the way it was before. For example, you'll need 10/3 for the clothes dryer rather than 10/2. Also check to see if your area enforces the AFCI requirement for bedrooms.

I strongly recommend you take Bob's advice and study up. I recommend the $5 green paperback, "Wiring Simplified", in the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Read it cover to cover. Even if you have one from years past, stop in and buy a new one since it gets updated every three years.