Ceiling Fan 2 Fans 1 Circuit

Old 04-27-04, 05:13 PM
M4521
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling Fan 2 Fans 1 Circuit

Recently I installed 2 ceiling fans in one large room however, there is only one switch that controls both fans.

1 outlet is wired w/1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground which was no problem installing the fan/light correctly.

However, the 2nd outlet has 2 Black, 2 white, and 1 ground and if I install the fan/light correctly meaning: black to black, (2nd) black to fan's blue, 2 white to fan's white, ground to ground, the 1st fan installed does not work.

But, if on the 2nd fan I wire 2 blacks to fan's black/blue combo, 2 whites to fan's white, and grounds to grounds, both fans work. My question is this: Is combining 4 wires acceptable & safe? (outlet's 2 blacks to fan's black & blue)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-04, 06:53 PM
Cool

What it sounds like to me is that the home run (power) is comming in to the switch them its going to the first fan and then to the second. So to answer your question yes its ok. Think about it. You have two incomming wires that supply the power to your first fan black and white they get connected to the first fan but then you need power from the first fan to the second fan so the other two wires you see black and white are outgoing wires (they go to the second fan) At the second fan the run stops Thats why you only see only two wires at the second fan a black and a white and four wires at the first fan two black and two white. At the first fan tie the two black wires along with the black and blue from the fan together then tie all the whites along with the white from the fan together. At the second fan tie the black to the black fan wire and the white to the white fan wire

Old 04-28-04, 05:24 PM
M4521
Visiting Guest
Thanks

That does make sense. Thanks for your help.....