fixture to switch

Old 04-28-04, 11:40 PM
trap
Visiting Guest
fixture to switch

how do i wire this? the book does not make scense: #14/2 to fixture, #14/2 from fixture to switch. make white black going back to fixture. connect black feed to white colored black from switch. connect white from feed to fixture. why should i connect black feed back to the white colored black from switch when the black feed is feeding the switch in the first place. shouldn't i just connect the white colored black from switch to the white on the fixture.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-04, 04:28 AM
Power comes into the fixture on 14/2 cable. The black wire is hot and the white wire is neutral (or return).

You connect the white wire directly to the fixture. You then run the hot wire out to the switch where it goes through the switch and comes back on the other wire. The hot power wire connects to the white wire going to the switch. The black wire from the switch goes to the hot side of the fixture. To abide by code you use a black marker and color the white wire to the switch at both ends, indicating that it is a hot wire.

Old 04-29-04, 09:34 AM
Everything here is right, but let me just say it another way in case it might help.

At the light:
  • Connect the power cable black wire to the switch cable white wire. Neither of these wires connects to the light fixture.
  • Connect the power cable white wire to the light fixture white wire.
  • Connect the switch cable black wire to the light fixture black wire.
  • Mark the end of the switch cable white wire with a black marker.
At the switch:
  • Connect the black and white wires to the switch.
  • Mark the end of the white wire with a black marker.