EE considering a P.E. degee

Old 04-29-04, 02:08 PM
EE considering a P.E. degee

I hope that this is a fair home for this question.. if not then I'm looking for the correct forum. You can bump it there for me.. I have a BSEE and 10 yrs experience and would like to consider getting a Professional Engineering (PE)Certification / degree in Mass.

I am all googled out. If someone knows someone who has taken this trip in Mass then I'd like to make a contact.. else just get to a site where they talk about registration or Mass State regulations, procedures and requirements. Maybe just the Mass State Engineering Board site? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-04, 04:36 PM
If no one here can answer your questions about Mass PE licensing, you might try posting your question at http://www.eng-tips.com .
Phil

Old 04-29-04, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to mass.gov on the web and type professional engineer in the search box.
Looks like it has everything you are looking for.
GL

Old 04-30-04, 02:53 PM
The web site for the examination company is:
http://www.ncees.org/
Have you taken the first part (fundimentals of engineering aka EIT exam)?

Massachusetts licensing board information regarding the jurisdiction's licensing and exam requirements for engineers and land surveyors:

Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors
Office Address: Division of Professional Licensure
239 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114
Phone: (617) 727-9957
Fax: (617) 727-1627
Web site: http://www.state.ma.us/reg

Old 05-01-04, 02:37 PM
You don't really need to be a P.E. unless you are planning on going into business for yourself. Some companies will pay you more if you are a ProE though. In my state, Iowa, if you wish to maintain your PE status you are also required to have so many hours of schooling every two years to meet your continuing education requirement. That could be a real pain. In my case it just wasn't worth it. The cost benefits ratio just isn't there.

Last edited by jughead; 05-02-04 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-03-04, 07:24 AM
For an EE, becoming a PE is only really a benefit if you work for the power company (or a similar field where you are designing power installations where public safety is a concern) or if you are a consultant (because in some states only a PE can legally call himself "engineer"). I've known hundreds of EEs working in industry and can recall only one PE.

Civil engineering is another matter - a PE is a prerequisite for any sort of responsible position. Every CE I know is a PE.