Upgrading Switches & Recepticule Boxes

Old 04-30-04, 09:02 AM
Question Upgrading Switches & Recepticule Boxes

Got my ceiling fan up and running and now onto another project. I have two outlets controlled by a single wall switch. The power comes into the switch on a 14-2 cable and out on a 14-2 cable to one outlet and on to the next. I am changing the box to a two gang box to add another switch going to a series of four recessed lights. I also want one additional light controlled by the existing switch. Want the outlets to be hot all the time. Can I do all of this with the existing power at the switch? How would I make the connections?

One switch I plan to use is an illuminated one with a silver and a black screw on one side and a brass and a ground on the other. The other switch has two brass screws on one side and a ground on the other.

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

jy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 10:01 AM
Yes, you can do all of this by rewiring at the switch box.

To start with, connect the existing two black wires in the switch box to each other, and to two black pigtails. Connect the two black pigtails to the black screw on the illuminated switch, and to one of the brass screws on the regular switch.

Then run two new 14/2 cables from the lights into the switch box, connecting the black wires of each of those two cables to a brass screw on each switch.

Now connect all four white wires to each other and to a white pigtail. Connect this pigtail to the silver screw on the illuminated switch.

Finally, connect all four bare wires to each other and to two bare pigtials, connecting these two pigtails to the green screw on each switch.

Repack the wires very neatly and very carefully.

Old 04-30-04, 10:03 AM
Yes, you can do this with the existing box.

Connect the incoming hot cable to the outgoing receptacle cable as if the switches aren't even there.

Connect the the hot side of this connection to the input of each switch. Connect the black wire to the set of four lights to the output side one switch. Connect the black wire to the single light to the output side of the other switch. Connect the white wires going to the lights to the white wires in the box, and to the silver screw on the illuminated switch.

On the regular togle switch, use either brass screw as the input and the other brass screw as the output.

On the illuminated switch, either the black screw is the input and the brass the output, or it's the other way around. Refer to the documentation that came with the switch, taking into account whether you want the switch to be illuminated when the switch is on, or when the switch is off.

Old 04-30-04, 10:20 AM
Smile

Thank you John and racraft for your quick replies and good instructions. Think I can handle this now and will finally have some decent light in this room.