Type of wire for under the house

Old 04-30-04, 08:45 PM
Norm Wannabe
Visiting Guest
Type of wire for under the house

I want to run 110V under my house (in the crawl space) so that it is terminated on the other side. (I'm creating a backyard external GFI outlet mounted to the outside of the house.)

WHat type of wire should I use? I'd like to use NM, but I've heard I may need UF - or worse yet flexible conduit.

In any of the cases, the wire will be fastened to the side of the underside of the floor joices so that it is up off the soil.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 09:41 PM
It not clear cut. If your crawl space is dry and if you will be attaching it to the joists to keep it off the ground, most inspectors would allow you to use NM. If still in doubt, you can always use UF.

Old 05-01-04, 08:50 AM
Norm Wannabe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply. I am relieved to hear I don't need flexible conduit. THAT would've been a lot of hard work in my cramped crawl space.

Old 05-07-04, 10:34 AM
Kray
Visiting Guest
If UF wire is used in this situation, would it still need to be attached to the joists or can it run along the ground? (Seems like it would be OK on the ground but I was wondering if there is a requirement to attach it to joists so it is out of harm's way when someone enters the crawl space for any reason?)
Thanks