Electric service line installation to shed

Old 05-02-04, 09:11 AM
Question Electric service line installation to shed

I'm planning a 60 amp feed to a shed in my backyard.
It's 75' from the house
I plan on running 1 1/2" Sked40 PVC underground buried 18-24"

So here are my questions...

1. What guage/type wire do I pull in the PVC?

2. Do I ground at the new sub-panel panel locally with a ground rod -or- do I pull the ground through from the main panel?

3. Have already have a 12 position sub-panel with no main breaker. Should I feed it with a local disconnect switch for convenience/safety? I probably with not use more than six breakers.

3. Is there a minimum distance from inside the shed door where I can mount the sub-panel? It would be most convenient to locate it just inside the door by about 8"

4. Can I come directly into the house underground with the PVC -or- do I have to LB up above ground for the entry.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 02:48 PM
1. #6, three insulated conductors plus ground. The ground can be as small as #10 if you want.

2. Both.

3. Sounds like a good idea in either case. Only required if you have more than siz breakers.

3. (again). There are a lot of clearance requirements for panels, but how far inside the door isn't one of them. Put it in a space at least 30 inches wide with at least 36" clear space in front of it, and with at least 6'6" of headroom. Make sure the panel door opens at least 90 degrees.

4. The LB would only be required if you can't pull the wires without it, or you have more than 360 degrees of bends between pull points.

Old 05-03-04, 10:23 AM
Thanks

John,
Thanks for your help.
Bill