hunter thermostat

Old 05-02-04, 11:00 AM
joanmarie
Visiting Guest
hunter thermostat

I want to replace an old hunter thermostat with a newer one. it is hunter also. it is a easy do it yourself installation set and save 100, digital programmable thermostat. here is my problem: labeling the wires to match the terminals. the wires that come from my wall are the wires i attach to the new thermostat? the newer thermostat has no wires with it...the wires coming from the wall are like a little hook, and i don't see how they can be attached to the new thermostat. the instructions aren't helping me...they confuse me...because i don't see how i can do it. is there a site where it will show a step by step procedure for me to do this? can anyone send me a picture step by step? I know this is probably a simple thing to do, i am just uncertain if i will connect it right...help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try www.hunterfan.com

The wires that come from the wall are the wires you hook to the thermo. They probably have a "hook" on the end because they were bent to wrap behind the screw heads on the old thermo.
Loosen the screws on the new thermo, hook the wires to the appropriate screws, and tighten the screws. The terminal marked "R" gets the red wire while B,G,Y, and W are for blue, green, yellow and white. You may not have all these wires so just hook up those you do have.

Old 05-02-04, 07:43 PM
joanmarie
Visiting Guest
hunter thermostat

thank you for your reply. my new thermo doesn't seem to have any screws. it has things like plug ins.this hunters serial number is 037674...could you look it up and see if it is supposed to have screws? i'll go to the hunter site also. thank you

Old 05-02-04, 09:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Study your owners / installation manual closely. You should have a base plate which attaches to the wall and has the screws to which you attach the wires. The screws should be right above the "plug in thing".

When you are sure that you have the wires correctly attached, follow the directions on pre setting the switches on the face plate, and then snap the face plate onto the back plate.

Old 05-03-04, 07:39 AM
joanmarie
Visiting Guest
thermostat

i finally connected the wires from my wall to the new thermo....there were only four and then an extra..i believe the manual said not to bother with that one, here is the problem...i installed it around 1 am this morning....it is 9:33 and the temp has had a temp reading of 20 since instalation. why? do you think i didn't connect the wires right? i labled them, white to white, green to g, yellow to yellow . the odd wire was red. the new thermo had a rc & rh connected already. i left it that way. i first left the switch in the thermo to 'g'. this morning when the temp had not chaned i switched it to 'e'. what have i done wrong. help

Old 05-03-04, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Per the instructions, leave the jumper wire between RH & RC in place BUT also hook up the red wire to one of those two terminals.

Your thermo can be set to Farenheidt or Centigrade. Check that out.

When all else fails, read the instructions.