Seperating circuits with two ceiling fixtures

Old 05-02-04, 07:36 PM
econ4gdw
Visiting Guest
Seperating circuits with two ceiling fixtures

I have a ceiling fan and kitchen light on the same circuit. They are controlled by a three way switch that can be accessed from either side of the kitchen. I would like to have a seperate switch to control just he ceiling fan so that I can turn off the kitchen light and leave the fan running. Is this relatively simple task. I have attic access, so the wiring of these two fixtures is very accessible.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you say "same circuit", it sounds like you mean that they are controlled by the same switches.

Since you have attic access, this will be relatively easy, but it will take a fair amount of investigation to determine how it is currently wired.

Let's first get clear what you want. You say that your currently have a switch on either side of the kitchen. I assume you want to leave those switches as is and have them control just the light. Then you want to add a new switch. Where do you want this new switch? In a separate switch box? Do you intend to convert one of the n-gang boxes into an (n+1)-gang box, or simply replace one of the switches with a duplex switch?

Now for the investigation part. What is "n"? In other words, how many switches are currently in each of the boxes on either end of the kitchen. Real soon now, we'll ask you to shut off the breaker, pull out those switches without disconnecting anything, and report on the wiring you see.