electrical for outdoor spa

Old 05-02-04, 07:31 PM
joecon
Visiting Guest
electrical for outdoor spa

I am installing a 240 volt 50 amp service spa. I plan on using a standard 50 amp breaker for the service that will terminate to a 'spa kit'. The spa kit is a 50 amp gfci dissconnect switch. The total wire run will be about 35 feet. a few questions:

What guage wire for this 3 conductor plus ground outdoor wire?

I am installing the spa in a screened in deck. Can I install the gfci disconnect box on the outside of the screened in deck just at the access door from the yard? This will be about 15 feet from the spa, but you would have to exit the deck to access the gfci disconnect. Just can't find a good place inside the scrrened in deck, but want to be safe.

Is there a good document that gives tips on the electrical installation of outdoor spas?

Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 07:50 PM
I should note first that a spa installation is not normally a DIY job. The problem is that there are dozens of special rules for this. In fact, there's a whole section of the code devoted to it. The rules are different than for any other circuit in your house.

You nee #6 copper wire.

I suggest you go to the library and read all of article 680 of the NEC. You could also try this web site.