Installing the electrical for a Sprinkler system

Old 05-08-04, 11:11 AM
hyperluminous
Visiting Guest
Installing the electrical for a Sprinkler system

We're going to need a timer for our sprinkler system, but I wanted to check a few things first.

You plug the timer into a socket inside your house and then run the wire to the valves outside, correct? I'm assuming you need to wrap the part where the valve wires meet the timer wires, but, unless you use heatshrink, this sounds like a hazard when rain or water meets those wires.

Also, could I run the cable from the timer through a hole the cable guy drilling in our floor for the cable wire and then run that out through one of the vents along our foundation? Or how is the wire typically run to the valves form the timer?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 04:29 PM
This is more of an electrical question, so I moved it here for the electrical advice.

Old 05-08-04, 04:56 PM
Yes, you can test out the irrigation system by plugging in the controller and running direct burial irrigation wires to the valves. You must run one common wire to the valves and a separate control wire to each valve. These wires going to the valves are low-voltage so you don't have to undertake extreme measures. To test out the system simply use wire nuts. for the permanent installation use pre-filled silicone wire nuts to waterproof the connections.

Many helpful hints are here:

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

Old 05-08-04, 05:35 PM
hyperluminous
Visiting Guest
So is it common practice to run the wires in the fashion I'm describing through a hole in the floor out through a vent in the foundation?

Thanks very much for the advice on the pre-filled silicone wire nuts!

Old 05-08-04, 06:34 PM
Yes, you can run these wires however you wish, if there is a vent to exit so much the better.

Here in California for residential installations we commonly mount the sprinkler controller inside the attached garage. This saves the homeowner money by not having to use weatherproof enclosures and electrical. The low-voltage controller wires are feed to the valves through the side of the house at the top of the foundation or through a vent if available.