Wiring (Service Panel)

Old 05-09-04, 02:52 AM
wd8
Visiting Guest
Smile Wiring (Service Panel)

I just had my sevice upgraded and a good thing too because the wires at the head had been arcing. Looking at the wiring from the pole looks aluminumn from the little that was cut, is it possible the wiring from the head to the pole is aluminumn. I plan on changing and re routing some wiring like the washer/ dryer (gas) outside outlet and a few others over to newer wiring would it be a good idea to go to 12 ga 20 amp for all and I like the idea of adding gf's opinons please and thank you.

Old 05-09-04, 05:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is not unusual to have AL for service wires. Many home do.

Old 05-09-04, 06:16 AM
R
If you are doing the work yourself, it is certainly easier to use the same gauge wiring throughout. certainly you want to use 12 gauge wire where required (kitchens, bathrooms, dedicated laundry circuit). IT make sense to use it elsewhere if you think that a large load will be used, such as a hair dryer.

As for GFCI receptacles, you should put them where required, and this includes circuits where you don't change the wiring. For example, use them on outside circuits, garage circuits, kitchen and bath circuits.

Old 05-09-04, 03:14 PM
S
About the only time I wire houses is for friends,, but I do use some 14 in them, only on lighting circuits though. Some of these have only 300 watts and its nice to have smaller wire when attatching fixtures and when you look at anything that has 14 or a 15A circuit you know its lights, some of these incl cieling fans. I try to keep all recepts on 12 wire and totally seperate from lights. This is just a personal thing, but it saves confusion and a tripped breaker never puts the lights out.

Old 05-10-04, 02:36 AM
wd8
Visiting Guest
Some very good reponses here and thanks. We plan on a security light for the front 250 watt and a flood for the backyard 500 watt. I want them on thier on circuit using 12 ga but would a 15 amp circuit breaker do for each or should I go for the 20? It's possible and likely that they will be both on for short periods of a time.

Old 05-11-04, 05:34 PM
Hi wd8, you can have them each on their own 15a or both on 1 15a circuit.The total amp draw is only 6.25 a {watts div by volts = amps}

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: