Eliminate wall switch

Old 05-11-04, 01:51 PM
Jeff B
Visiting Guest
Eliminate wall switch

A room in our house has a switch at each of the two doors into the room. The switches operate a couple of wall plugs. Can I eliminate these switches [and make the wall plugs always "hot"] by simply tying all the black wires together and all the whites together in each of the two boxes? How about if the white wires are already clipped off in the box?
Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 05:11 PM
If there are two switches controlling the receptacles, then they are three way switches. Depending on the wiring you will have to make changes at one or both switches. The wires you attach togather depend on the actual wires in the box. To guarantee power to the outlet no matter what, you would tie all the current carrying wires attached to the switch (there should be three of them) together, regardless of color. Do not include the bare or green ground wires.

Keep in mind though that you will be making a code compliant installation no longer compliant. Code dictates that certain rooms in a dwelling have either a light or a receptacle outlet controlled by a switch. This is so that a light can be turned on when entering a room. Make not of what you do so that you can undo it when you sell the house.

A better solution would be to examine the wiring and see if you can make the change directly at the receptacle.

Old 05-11-04, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff B
A room in our house has a switch at each of the two doors into the room. The switches operate a couple of wall plugs. Can I eliminate these switches [and make the wall plugs always "hot"] by simply tying all the black wires together and all the whites together in each of the two boxes? How about if the white wires are already clipped off in the box?
Thank you so much.
You are required by code to have switches that operate lights at the entrance to the room. If you eliminate the switched receptacles you will need to install a light fixture controlled by the switches.
If you still want to proceed then we need to know the connections in the switched receptacles and the switches. Are both 1/2s of the receptacles switched or only 1/2 of it? Do both switches operate the same receptacles or are they 2 independent switches?

Old 05-12-04, 06:43 AM
Jeff B
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your input. As a DIY person, I was unaware of the "code" regarding "rooms in a dwelling have either a light or a receptacle outlet controlled by a switch." It is nice to know these things!

My problem is minor [mainly aggrivation!]. All the rooms actually have three switches at the entrance to the room: One for the ceiling fan, one for the ceiling light and one for the wall plugs. To prevent visitors [and sometimes forgetful residents ;-) ] from hitting the "wall switch" thereby turning off the clocks, I currently have tape [unsightly] over the last switch in the set of three. With my lack of knowledge, it appears I should continue with the tape. Thank you very much for your help. I am new to this forum and find it very enlightning.
Jeff

Old 05-12-04, 07:50 AM
You may find be examining the receptacle wiring that you can pick and choose which receptacles are switched, or that only half of each duplex receptacle is switched.

Old 05-12-04, 08:29 AM
If you already have a switch controlled light on the ceiling fan, then it is ok to wire the outlet continuously hot. Follow the instructions in the previous posts to accomplish this task. Also, you might want to changeout the 3 pole switch with a two pole switch to eliminate any confusion on what the 3 switch operates.

Scott E.

Old 05-12-04, 04:46 PM
Yes the requirement is only to have a switched light. That can be overhead or a receptacle with a lamp plugged in. Since you have an overhead lamp you can make the receptacles permanently hot.