surge protection of subpanel

Old 05-12-04, 07:04 AM
surge protection of subpanel

We have a main panel in our house (200 amp) that has an Intermatic PanelGuard (surge arrestor) attached to it at the base.
Branching off the main panel is a subpanel in our pool cabana. Since the subpanel is wired to the main panel, it doesn't need its own surge arrestor, does it?
Thanks.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 08:22 AM
I would say no. Typically your main panel does not require a surge suppressor. However, it does help protect the electronic systems in your house from surges and such. I put one on my main panel to protect things like the TV, microwave, stove (electronic controls). As long as there is no major electronic devices or such in the cabana. But the arrestors are relatively cheap compared with replacement of some items...so It might be cheap insurance.

Scott E.

Old 05-12-04, 09:26 AM
Well, there is the system that runs the pool. It is all computerized and cost approx $2000. I would install an arrestor if needed, but I thought it would be overkill.

Old 05-12-04, 01:39 PM
How is the power run to the cabana? If it is overhead, the lines could take a lightning strike. Just regular power line surges will be handled by the main panel's surge arrestor. If there is little chance of a lightning strike between your main panel and subpanel, I probably wouldn't worry. If the lightning strike is an concern, an individual lightning arrestor could be added to the sub with minimal cost.

Old 05-13-04, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dave4242
Well, there is the system that runs the pool. It is all computerized and cost approx $2000. I would install an arrestor if needed, but I thought it would be overkill.
If it were me I would use a real surge protecter on something like that. The cheap MOV based Intermatic one is prone to failure and is best left at the service entrance to avoid ground line contamination. It is important to keep in mind than any wire heading from the pool controls out to the pool itself are a source of lightning induced voltage/damage.

www.surgex.com

SX-15/NE would be a good choice or the SA/966

These pieces have the highest government rating for protection
3000 Amps @ 6000Volts 1000 times without failure

Old 05-13-04, 11:11 AM
WFO
Typically, the closer a device is to the surge arrestor, the better it is protected. If your cabana is very far off, you might stil want another one.