Finding Wire Problem

Old 05-13-04, 11:00 AM
Finding Wire Problem

I recently had a flood at my house.When the drywall was cut out and repaired the installer somehow managed to break a 220 line that goes to a baseboard heater.Now all that is coming out of the wire is 110 volts.How do I detect where the wire is broken so it can be repaired.
The electrician suggested putting a 110 basebord in.Wouldn,t that be dangerous for one and suck up alot more power?Where is the other 110 of the 220 going?I have lost faith in the electrician and hope to locate the problem myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 01:08 PM
Let the electrician find the problem and repair it at the drywallers expence. If you go with 120 volt heat you have less heating capacity.

Old 05-13-04, 01:29 PM
You need to find another electrician. Apparently, one of the two hot wires was cut by the drywaller. He must have cut into the cable enough to cut through one of the wires without making simultaneous contact with the ground wire (or their would have been a short circuit kapow). The heater was wired with two hot wires and a grounding conductor that serves to ground the case of the heater but never carries current, except in the event of a short circuit (hot wire touching the case somehow). What your electrician is proposing to do is abandon the cut wire (I'm assuming he will change the circuit breaker from double pole to single pole and tape off the affected wire) and make your ground wire a current carrying neutral wire which is against electrical code.

Even if you can find where the cable was cut, you may not be able to effectively splice it at the cut. You may need to rerun a cable from the panel or from an accesible place between the panel and where the cable was cut to the heater.

How many heaters are on the circuit? Were the heaters removed and replaced for the sheetrock work? Were the heaters damaged by the flood? How is the wire run from the panel to the heater (i.e. under the house, through the walls)? Is there a wall thermostat or thermostat mounted on the heater itself? You see, it's possible that there is a bad electrical connection instead of a cut wire. You would really be screwed if you had the drywaller come out and cut away all the sheetrock he had just installed only to find out that the problem was a bad connection made by your electrician. The drywall installer would happily charge you again to resheetrock.

Old 05-13-04, 01:30 PM
I know that but I,d like to be able to locate the problem as I lost faith in the electrician even though the drywall company is paying.
Get this,the electrician even suggested running a new line through a pipe along the outside of my house then down into the basement.Wouldn,t that look nice?

Old 05-13-04, 01:59 PM
Are you (and the drywaller) pretty confident that the cable was cut? Do you have a pretty good idea of where? Do you remember how the cable was run back to the panel (did you notice it when the wall was opened)? You may have to install two junction boxes with blank covers on the wall (if there is no slack in the cable to allow the splice to be made in one box.

Is there a single cable that runs all the way from the panel straight to the heater? You have ruled out a bad connection elsewhere?

If you have absolutely no idea where the cable might be cut, you can take the chance that you can find the cut without too much sheetrock removal, or you MAY be better off running the cable around the outside of the house, depending on your particular situation. Could the conduit be run along the ground or in a similarly low-exposure manner?

If you could provide a little more detail, I might be able to come up with a better answer.

Old 05-13-04, 04:47 PM
You could just start cutting the drywall open until you find the problem and fix it. Then let them come back and patch the holes.