plumbing near electric panel

Old 06-04-04, 07:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plumbing near electric panel

I am going to post this question in the plumbing section as well.

I am planning on putting a dish washer in my kitchen this fall and when I was looking at how to run the plumbing I realized that directly below where the dishwasher would go is my panel and disconnect.

I can make it past the panel and up to where the plumbing needs to go but I was wondering, is there any code that limits plumbing from being within certian distances of the main panel and disconnect?

The drain would come down through the floor behind the panel by a few inches and then either run above the panel or if need be down and below the panel, either way it will run at some point within a foot of the panel.
As well the water supply pipes will have to run a similar path and I was planning on using copper pipe to match the rest of the house.

I live in Manitoba Canada if anyone knows the specifics of the canadian building code.

Old 06-04-04, 08:22 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
is there any code that limits plumbing from being within certian distances of the main panel and disconnect?
Not in the U.S.

Old 06-04-04, 02:51 PM
B
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Not in the U.S.
Actually, there is John.

unique3
If the CEC is similar to the NEC in this respect, then you will need to do some additional work (see part in bold) if you want the plumbing in the space above the panel. It would not be permitted anywhere else within the panels dedicated space.

2002 NEC
Article 110.26
(F) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.

Exception: Control equipment that by its very nature or because of other rules of the Code must be adjacent to or within sight of its operating machinery shall be permitted in those locations.

(1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (d).

(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone.

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies with this section.

(d) Suspended Ceilings. A dropped, suspended, or similar ceiling that does not add strength to the building structure shall not be considered a structural ceiling.

Any CEC guys confirm??

Old 06-05-04, 12:04 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bolted, thanks for the help.

Old 06-05-04, 01:22 PM
Let my describe the situation a bit clearer so you can under stand what is going on.
My back door is down a few steps from the main floor so there is a landing here, the landing is a bit wider then the actual opening so the floors overlap. My panel is mounted on the side of this landing, a few inches below the bottom of the panel there is no more wall it is open, infact the clothes dryer is under the panel to.

The spot where the washing machine drain would drop through the floor is behind the panel in the area between the panel and the wall for the landing.

The drain can then drop through the landing floor and branch over to the outside wall. And then run along the wall to the main drain.

While the drain will technically run "under" the panel it is not on the same wall as there is no wall under the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: