AWG - length -AMPS

Old 05-15-04, 03:20 PM
ascensi0n
Visiting Guest
Smile AWG - length -AMPS

Hi guys,

Newcomer, i've been reading your site for the passed week or so, and its awesome.

Now I've got a quick question, i searched and cant seem to find this particular info, only bits and peices.

I was wondering if there is a chart out there where it'll display amount of AMPS and recommended AWG, also a chart for size AWG and LENGTH chart that displays loss of voltage?

Just want to print it out to have it handy. its nice to know what AWG will handle what load, and how much loss i get on voltage if the wire is too long.

asc

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-04, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That chart is standard in the national electric code. However, it has many variables, such as type of wire, how many together, are they in conduit, in free air, etc. All of these have an effect on the current carrying capacity of the conductors. As for voltage drop, again the NEC has a table for the various conductor sizes and their resistance per foot. Simple multiplication of resistance/foot * distance *2 (round trip distance) * current = voltage drop. Many electrical supply houses have little handbooks or charts they print that have these tables in them. I do not know if they are located on the net. You could also pick up your very own copy of the NEC for about $30 at an electrical supply house.

Scott E.

Old 05-15-04, 05:37 PM
ascensi0n
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the advice Scott E. Appreciate the info. I will go get one of those pocket books, I am in canada, so I'm sure they got those at Chapters Book Store probably.

Also, while i'm here, i want to put in a 240v outlet in my garage, i already have a subpanel there and 6 free slots on it, do all i need is a double sloted switch for my panel to supply 240v?

and what gauge do i need to wire my outlet?

-asc-

Old 05-15-04, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are you going to run from the 240 outlet? Wire size would be according to the amount of current needed.

Old 05-16-04, 10:55 AM
ascensi0n
Visiting Guest
I am putting this in because i have somebody paying room and board and he needs a hookup to power his welding equipement in the garage