220 Wiring Problem

Old 05-15-04, 06:32 PM
nc woodworker
Visiting Guest
220 Wiring Problem

trying to install a new 220v circuit for my 2hp woodworking machine (a dust collector) but something is not working.

the power cord on the machine (which didn't have a plug) only has 3 wires... a green ground, one black wire, and one red wire. since this is my first experience with 220 i am confused. without a nutral wire, how does the circuit get closed?

I ran the new circuit with a new double pole 20amp breaker, new 12/2 w/ground cable (wiring both wires to the hot poles on the breaker)/new 3 blade locking receptacal.

Everything is hooked up...but it won't run! When I insert my circuit tester into the 2 Hot slots in my receptacal I get nothing. When I put one probe in a Hot slot and one in the Ground... my tester shows power. I repeated the test by checking the contacts in the plug (same result), checking the switch on the DC (same results- power only when probing one hot wire to the ground). I turned the switch on and check the wires feeding the motor out of the switch (same result).

Did I wire this correctly or am i missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-04, 06:51 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Did you use one of those double pole circuit breakers which fit into only one space on your panel? This is the only thing I can think of.
Otherwise, you need a volt-ohm meter to get an exact reading of volts. You seem to have just an indicator or power yes/no [neon light bulb with two leads].
How wide is the CB?
~Peter

Old 05-15-04, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A pure 220 load needs no neutral, as the power draw on each leg of the circuit is identical. The only reason for a neutral in a 220 setup is when the device has a 110 element, such as the light bulb in an electric oven, or the motor that drives the drum in an electriuc dryer.

As Peter has suggested, make certain that you are grabbing both legs of the 220 volts in your panel, and not the same leg.

Old 05-16-04, 11:14 AM
nc woodworker
Visiting Guest
Ah Hah!

Peter and Bob....

THANK YOU! Your were right... the double pole breaker was seated in 2 slots on one buss... thus no power. I moved it down one slot so each pole was on a separate buss and HELLO POWER!

Did the trick.... thanks again! My machine is purring beautifully!

Alex