Splicing wires inside new box...

Old 05-17-04, 12:38 PM
Lwlgeorge
Visiting Guest
Question Splicing wires inside new box...

OK, I just removed a single light fixture box from the center of my kitchen and installed two recessed fixtures in that ceiling. I was hoping to use the existing hole from the original light box for one of the recessed lights. The benefit of this would have been that I could use the junction box attached to the recessed fixture to make my electrical connections. After cutting out the old box, I found that there were pipes directly above it. So, the recessed light can wouldn't fit in that spot. As you can imagine, the electrician who wired the original box trimmed the cables to size. Well, there isn't enough slack in any of the three cables to run to one of my recessed fixtures.
So, my dilemma is...how to make my electrical connections. I can do it above the old hole using a metal box that I can attach the joist. However, I really can't do that because I need to make sure there is access to that box and my intention, of course, is to patch that hole.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-04, 12:46 PM
1.Blank cover on box and paint it.
2. Abandon cables in place and run new cables from boxes at other end of cable to new lights. To abandon you must disconnect BOTH ends from power.