Using spare electrical outlet to power ceiling fan...

Old 05-17-04, 02:30 PM
ashabasha
Visiting Guest
Using spare electrical outlet to power ceiling fan...

Hello all! I am new to the site. I just installed a ceiling fan and now need to get power. I ran a romex (sp?) wire from the fan through the attic to a spare electrical outlet in the attic. Now I need to attach the wire to the outlet for power...one problem: I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS.

Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated !
Kerry

Last edited by ashabasha; 05-17-04 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling error in title
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-04, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way that you ran the wire implies that you want to have the fan always powered. I assume that the fan has one or more pull chains to control it's speed and whether it is on or off?

Power comes in a wire that has a white. a black and a bare wire. The fan should have a white, a black (sometimes blue, or even red) wire and a bare or green wire.

The white wire is the neutral, or return. The black (or other colored wire) is the hot wire, and the bare.green wire is the ground. you do is connect the wires to match the colors.

However. There are several gotchas. You must use wire at least the same size or larger as the wire that is feeding the outlet. This is probably 14 gauge wire, but may be 12. Ceiling fans must be installed with appropriate electrical boxes that can withstand the weight of the fan. There are specially rated boxes for this purpose. A regular ceiling box placed in the ceiling attached to a joist won't do. Finally, there are special ways that the wire needs to be run.

I recommend that you pivk up a book or two on electrical wiring and go from there.