Wiring through basement wall...

Old 05-17-04, 08:11 PM
Microfiche
Visiting Guest
Wiring through basement wall...

Hi, hope someone can help me. My plan is to install a GFI receptacle on the outside wall. The previous owner had drilled a hole through the window frame and poked some rubber cable through, but I would like to do it right. From everything I have seen I am supposed to be able to "simply" drill a hole through the rim joist, out through the stucco, and I am good to go. Well, I can drill through what I think is the rim joist (sitting on top of the foundation - about 7.5" high), but then I seem to hit concrete. That was drilling from the inside, in the basement, between 2 floor joists. So I went to the outside and tried drilling in. Got through the stucco, and continued going through concrete (or brick - solid) until the masonry bit bottomed out - about 5 inches deep. Isn't there "supposed" to be a joist sitting on top of the foundation wall, not concrete? The exterior walls are stucco, the house was built in 1948. I also planned to out a hole through this area for the drier vent, but if I can't get a 3/8" hole through it, a 4" one will be much more difficult.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 12:49 PM
Smile

The joys of home ownership. Try and get through with a 1/4 in bit before the bigger one and make sure the hole is at a slight angle to keep rain from running in. Not sure what you are hitting but in a house that old anything is possible. Masonary bits don't like wood so maybe you made it through the masonary and now you have to switch to the wood bit. With experience you can often tell what you have hit by looking at the bits of junk hanging off the end of the bit. Good luck