Temperamental florescent lights

Old 05-18-04, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temperamental florescent lights

Recently the florescent lights in my house have not been coming on when the switch is flipped. I bought this 40+ year old house a few months ago and this just started happening. The lights I am sure are old and have been working fine. I can understand one of them going bad, but they all are acting up. Some come on after the switch is flipped a few times. Sometimes they dont. The ends of the tubes have a faint glow but dont completely light up. Is it possible to not have enough power going to them? Would other devices be effected if that is the case? Where should I check? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 12:03 PM
In my opinion, the first thing to try for any fluorescent problems is to replace the tubes. Replace all the tubes in any given fixture at the same time.

Old 05-18-04, 07:19 PM
Before replacing any tubes give them a twist & a slight tug to make certain they are in the sockets & making contact.I work at a nursing home and this is areal problem with the bathroom fixtures.

Old 05-20-04, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried adjusting the tubes and replacing some of them. It seems to be working on all but one. It has real loose sockets that the tube fits in so I will replace the whole light sometime soon. I just did it last night so maybe I should give it the test of time before declaring it a complete success. A couple lights would work if I just touch the bulb. I thought that was wierd. Thanks again for your help. Its something I should have done myself in the first place, but with all of them acting up at once I figured there must be more to it.