Temperamental florescent lights

Old 05-18-04, 11:52 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Temperamental florescent lights

Recently the florescent lights in my house have not been coming on when the switch is flipped. I bought this 40+ year old house a few months ago and this just started happening. The lights I am sure are old and have been working fine. I can understand one of them going bad, but they all are acting up. Some come on after the switch is flipped a few times. Sometimes they dont. The ends of the tubes have a faint glow but dont completely light up. Is it possible to not have enough power going to them? Would other devices be effected if that is the case? Where should I check? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-18-04, 12:03 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In my opinion, the first thing to try for any fluorescent problems is to replace the tubes. Replace all the tubes in any given fixture at the same time.

Old 05-18-04, 07:19 PM
Before replacing any tubes give them a twist & a slight tug to make certain they are in the sockets & making contact.I work at a nursing home and this is areal problem with the bathroom fixtures.

Old 05-20-04, 11:33 AM
T
Thanks for your help. I tried adjusting the tubes and replacing some of them. It seems to be working on all but one. It has real loose sockets that the tube fits in so I will replace the whole light sometime soon. I just did it last night so maybe I should give it the test of time before declaring it a complete success. A couple lights would work if I just touch the bulb. I thought that was wierd. Thanks again for your help. Its something I should have done myself in the first place, but with all of them acting up at once I figured there must be more to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: