Rewire from 115V to 230V

Old 05-21-04, 10:22 AM
Post Rewire from 115V to 230V

I recently bought a Tablesaw that is pre-wired for 115v but is can be converted to 230V. I have installed a dedicated 20amp outlet for power tools in the workshop - I believe that would be fine for running the saw in the 115v pre-wired configuration - but, I think I want to convert it for added power.

I have a pre-wired outlet not in use (from a previous owner and usage). It is labeled for 220 - single circuit from 30amp double-pole breaker to outlet box. Question: what kind of outlet do I install? What kind of plug do I replace the existing tablesaw cord with? And is this set-up correct for changing the 115v wiring to the 230v wiring?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-04, 10:45 AM
You will get added power by converting it. It will still be the same HP. The only advantage is it will draw less current. If the wire run to the saw is long it will help reduce voltage drop. Lower current draw will mean you could use a smaller guage wire for the circuit.

Old 05-21-04, 11:26 AM
I think Joe left out a "not" in his post.

The benefits of this conversion are very, very slight. If you decide to convert, follow the manufacturer's directions on breaker size, which will probably require you to reduce the size of that breaker.

Old 05-21-04, 12:23 PM
Thanks - I figured Joe 'ment "...will NOT get more power" - that's OK.
I still think that I would like to have a dedicated circuit for this machine though and I figured since the 220 was already there and the machine could be easily converted Why not?

I guess my real confusion is with the 230 volt (vs the 220) and what that really means as far as outlet & plug configuration. I did not find anywhere in the manufacture's instructions that indicated what size breaker - only reference was to the wiring diagram on the motor to convert from 115 to 230 and it mentioned that the motor plug would have to be changed.

Old 05-21-04, 01:10 PM
220, 230, and 240 are used interchangeably. There is no intended significance applied to one number over another.

Tell us all the electrical specifications printed on the nameplate on the saw.

Old 05-22-04, 06:31 AM
Here's what's on the plate attached to the motor.
Output = 1 1/2 HP
HZ = 60
Volt = 115/230
Amp = 18/9
RPM 3450
Phase 1
Pole 2
Heat 60 C
Class E

I re-read the instructions for converting and it jsut said to replace the plug with one that was rated for 230v. Thanks -

Old 05-22-04, 07:12 AM
Dont Do That

Originally Posted by Cruttshome
Here's what's on the plate attached to the motor.
Output = 1 1/2 HP
HZ = 60
Volt = 115/230
Amp = 18/9
RPM 3450
Phase 1
Pole 2
Heat 60 C
Class E

I re-read the instructions for converting and it jsut said to replace the plug with one that was rated for 230v. Thanks -

If you just change the plug without changing the motor connections then the motor will have a brief and messy last turning.

You must change the connections in the motor stuffing box
to wire the motor coils in series rather than in parallel. The diagram of the motor winding connections is on the motor name plate. If you are not clear on how to do that then stop
--
Tom Horne

Old 05-22-04, 07:55 AM
I know I have to change the connections at the box. In fact, the instructions for doing that are very clear - I'm only asking the question about the type of outlet and plug to use. Also, if I should change the 30amp breaker to something smaller. The wire is 10 / 2.