Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

14awg or 12awg (related to thread "Outlet and Switch Combo")

Old 05-21-04, 12:38 PM

Please see my thread "Outlet and Switch Combo".

I want to install an outlet in the same box as a switch. As I was attempting to do this project, I noticed the wires are 14awg for the switch. I just read something that suggests using a minimum of 12awg for receptacles. Based on this information, it would not be advisable to install a receptacle in this box as the wire is 14awg. Does everyone agree with this?

Thanks,
William

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-04, 01:06 PM
The recommendation to use all 12-gauge wiring applies when wiring a new circuit. And it's a personal preference--not a global recommendation. Consider it more like one-man's recommendation for Benjamin Moore paint over Sherwin Williams (example only--I have no opinion on these paints).

Most residential receptacle circuits being wired today are still wired with 14-gauge on 15-amp circuits.

It's perfectly fine to add a receptacle with 14-gauge wire on to an existing 15-amp circuit.

Old 05-21-04, 01:22 PM
Response to John Nelson

I appreciate the prompt response. I hope to complete the wiring tonight and will post the outcome.

Thanks again.

William

Old 05-21-04, 03:04 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Related to this, where can I find a table showing requisite wire gauges for particular amperage?

Old 05-21-04, 03:07 PM
14-gauge copper is good for 15 amps in most conditions.
12-gauge copper is good for 20 amps in most conditions.
10-gauge copper is good for 30 amps in most conditions.

Any table which shows you ampacity for larger than 10-gauge copper (and such tables exist) is being very general. Once you get above 10 gauge, there are just too many variables to yield to a simple table.

Old 05-21-04, 04:00 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Cool, thank you sir.