Recessed lighting trim

Old 05-22-04, 04:44 PM
comp1mp
Visiting Guest
Recessed lighting trim

I have recently installed new construction Halo recessed lighting. The instructions stated to install the can guides flush with the ceiling joists. I have 1x furring running across the joists so I installed it flush with the furring. The drywall has not gone up yet, but I installed the trim on one of the cans just to see how to do it. The trim hangs well over an inch off of the can. It appears that I have the springs hooked up to the only thing in the can you could hook them to. Was I wrong to make it flush with the furring? Did I possibly purchase the wrong trim? Certainly they don't expect more than an inch of drywall? Thanks for your time.

Matthew

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-04, 04:52 PM
You have the trim incorrectly attached to the can. I'm not sure exactly what you did wrong, but the trim should come up tight against the can when properly installed. Did you try pushing the trim up to see if it snaps tight against the can. These things are designed so that you can pull them down later for lamp replacement. It sounds like your trim may be in the down postion.

If you are still having trouble, tell us exactly which of the many kinds of Halo cans and exactly which of the many kinds of Halo trim you have.

Old 05-22-04, 05:07 PM
comp1mp
Visiting Guest
Hmmm

I have the H7ICAT air tight cans and 310P trim. I tried several times to just push the trim up into the can, but this does not seem to work. Does this forum allow posting of pictures?

Thanks John,

Matthew

Old 05-22-04, 05:20 PM
The H7ICAT is a 6-inch diameter air-tight housing rated for insulation contact. The 310P trim is a satin white baffle trim. Halo rates these two as being compatible, so you should be able to make this work. It's hard to tell exactly what you are doing wrong without seeing it. I suspect the problem is how you attached the spring steel clips to the can housing.

Do you have a bulb installed when you are trying. The fixture/trim combination is rated for a 50-watt PAR30 or a 75-watt R30. Do you have one or the other of those bulbs?

This forum does not allow posting of pictures, but it does allow posting of links. So if you can upload a picture to any one of a number of sites that provide photo storage, you can post a link to it.

Old 05-22-04, 05:27 PM
comp1mp
Visiting Guest
Got it!!

Thanks again John. It was the keyhole slots in the top of the housing. The confusing thing is that the spring is designed for several different hook ups. The sides of the can have what appear to be where you would hook the top of the spring. Further down the spring it becomes offset and you can drop that right into the keyholes in the top of the can. I have read some other posts which have pointed out that Halo does not do a very good job at documentation. With the cost of disseminating information via the web so cheap, you would think some of these manufacturers would start taking that route. Luckily, we have folks like you!!!

Matthew

Old 05-22-04, 05:30 PM
The springs for baffle trim attach to the base plate on either side of the bulb socket. They do not attach to the side of the housing. Those side slots are for eyeball trim.

Last edited by John Nelson; 05-22-04 at 05:43 PM.