converting plug-in lamp to hard wire

Old 05-23-04, 04:48 PM
mjw
Visiting Guest
converting plug-in lamp to hard wire

i am currently renovating my kitchen and i have a question about light fixtures that i bought from ikea. they are designed as hanging ceiling fixtures with a two-prong outlet that would run along the clg, down a wall to a receptacle. is there a way to convert the plug so that it can be hard-wired into a clg box? my main question involves the cord of the fixture, it is an 18ga wire, and i am running a 15amp circuit for the kitchen lights. is it possible to have the 18ga wire on the 15 amp circuit or would i need to upgrade the cord, assuming the fixture can handle the extra load. thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 05-23-04, 05:51 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
There is no legal way connect that type of cord direct without a receptacle.

Old 05-23-04, 06:55 PM
mjw
Visiting Guest
what, specifically, makes it illegal?

Old 05-23-04, 08:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flexible cord must remain in free air to be safe. It cannot be terminated in an electrical box. The wire in the wall, which can handle this, is heavier gauge and has a different type of insulation than the flexible cord.

Old 05-23-04, 08:22 PM
mjw
Visiting Guest
thanks john. how then do pendant lamps work, what type of wire for that application is left exposed? i guess what i would like to do is make my lamp a pendant lamp...

Old 05-24-04, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Functionally and in the short term, your conversion may work. In trying to offer a code compliant answer, as John said, you cannot convert the fixture. The fixture is designed and tested with a long cord and plug. It is not permitted to modify the fixture. Maybe the designer had some off beat reason to use the longer cord and plug for some time of ...... whatever.
You might do it anyway, but the g-ds from Underwriters Laboratories will descend upon your fixture and remove their label from it

Old 05-24-04, 12:40 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Art.240.5, (B), (2), Fixture wires, allows connecting #18 Fixture wire to Branch-Cicuits rated 20 amps less.

Possibly you MAY have a chain-hung fixture designed to connect to a receptacle-outlet via a cord-plug. For a fixture outlet-box connection, you will need a fixture canopy with ring from which the chain is suspended.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: